Sunday, September 19, 2010

Show Don't Tell

Megan Lee
9:00 Class
Thing 1, 2, and 3

This picture brings back a lot of memories. It reminds me of friends, volleyball, and all the good times we had together. It was a bittersweet day. I never thought the day would come when my high school volleyball career would end. It was senior night, the last game the seniors would play volleyball as a team on the home court. There were six seniors awaiting our last game together. It was sad and exciting. The thing we love to do was coming to an end. There was no more waking up really early in the morning for practices and no more grueling exercises. I was excited though, looking forward to senior day ever since freshman year. I couldn’t believe four years had passed by already. I was about to step on to the court for the last time with my teammates/ friends. I was anxious and nervous.

We won the game making the day even more special. After the game, we went back to our team room to celebrate. It smelled of hot pizza, and freshly, baked chocolate chip cookies. There were gold and black (our school colors) balloons floating every where. Decorative colors covered the cafeteria lunch tables. There was a lot of food and drinks. Pictures of the team were lined up on the table. There was a blown up picture of the seniors holding our tournament winning trophy posted on the wall. Each senior had one or two underclassman that were under them. The underclassman bought the seniors gifts. My teammates handed me a gift bag, standing next to me. I scuffled through the bag wondering what they got me. I reached into the bag, tissue paper crackling, and felt something soft like cotton. I knew it was some kind of clothing. I took the shirt out of the bag. The bright red shirt unfolded itself. I looked down and saw Thing 1 in black lettering in the middle of a white circle positioned on the middle of the shirt. My two friends standing next to me were no longer near me. I heard giggling and the flashes on the camera. At first, I had no idea what was going on. Then I turned around and saw my two friends with Thing 2 and 3 shirts on too. They had painted the words Thing 1, 2, and 3, on the shirts by hand. For Halloween we jokingly agreed to go trick or treating dressed as Thing 1, Thing 2, and Thing 3. We never had a chance to do it though. It turned out to be our team’s inside joke.

The picture was taken in the team/ senior room located next to the cafeteria in my high school. We had just finished playing an intense game. We still had our jerseys, spandex, volleyball pads, and long socks on. The picture was taken when the three of us put our Thing shirts over our jerseys. Even though the three of us are not all looking in the same direction and it is not the greatest picture in the world, I still like the photo. The photo triggers memories of happiness, laughter, and exuberance. It reminds me of the great times we had and how we became close friends throughout the season. The three of would always be hanging out on and off the court. They became some of my best friends still to this day. We are in different schools now, but every time I look at the picture I remember the fun times we had together.



No comments:

Post a Comment