Sunday, September 26, 2010

Descriptive Detail

Megan Lee
9:00 Class
Candy Land

This was every child’s dream. This was a world made of sweet treats and goodies, desert heaven. I have never seen anything like it. The lemon drop sun was shining bright with a clear frosty sky. The clouds were like fluffy cotton candy. There was a chocolate waterfall, ice cream snow, gummy pathways, and licorice trees. The light sound of popcorn was popping in the background. There was a long, twisty, winding trail intertwining with itself. Everything was edible and unbelievable.
There is no such thing as a junk food fantasy. The world of sweets was actually my favorite childhood game, Candy Land. I think it was the first game that I ever played. It was a simple game where you didn’t need to know much. It wasn’t like Trivia Pursuit where you need to know random, useless facts. All you needed to play the game was to know colors. There is no strategy or manipulation; you just draw cards and play. Every day I would want to play with just about anybody. Even the cover of the box was fun. There was candy cane lettering and every kind of candy on the front. The vibrant colors made the game seem to come to life. The game put you in the middle of a Willy Wonka movie. Who knew a board game could be so fun. The goal of the game was to race to the candy castle. There were red, yellow, blue, green, purple, and orange cards that corresponded to the spaces on the board. I was pretty good at the game. I would win most of the time against my family. Every player started their gingerbread man piece on the entrance of the magical road of colors. On the way, we would pass by the Chunky Chocolate Mountains, Cupcake Commons, Ginger Bread Houses, Candy Cane Forest and Gum Drop Mountain. The giant swirly lollipops, sprinkle frosted cupcakes surrounded the playing board. The characters in the game also resembled sweets. There were King Kandy, Mr. Mint, Gramma Nutt, and others. Chocolate and ice cream cones threw themselves at us every time we turned a corner.
I would be looking forward to the game at the beginning of every week. Every Sunday night, my family and I would play the game. It was routine; I would set up the game after dinner. We would sit, crossing our legs, on the soft, carpet floor surrounding the table. My younger brother would sit next to me with my parents sitting across from me. The sounds of Tom and Jerry or Bugs Bunny’s voice from the Looney Tunes would be on in the background. I remember hearing “Be vewwy vewwy quiet. I’m hunting wrabbits.” My brother would say the phrase over and over again while we play the game.
I loved Candy Land when I was little. Some times, I still play Candy Land with the kids that I babysit with telling them it was my first game. Candy Land was my favorite game because the game is simple and I have a simple, straightforward mind. I also love the savory taste of sweet things. Candy Land now reminds me of the simple times, when I was young and didn’t have to worry about anything. Playing the game allows people to escape reality and return to their childhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment