Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Gender Expectations

Megan Lee

Gender Expectations

9:00 Class


Growing up, I remembered that my great grandpa always wanted a great grandson. My relatives kept having girls though. My great grandpa was happy that he was there to welcome a new member of the family, but deep down inside he wanted a boy. Eventually though, my great grandpa got his wish when my uncle had a baby boy. My great grandpa was ecstatic. His traditions and beliefs date back to his parents and then to his grandparents. He had a large ego, but had a lot of pride in the family. My great grandpa wanted his name to live on forever. Because of that, when I was little, I thought boys were more wanted than girls. In the present, I know that my parents love my brother and I equally, (at least I am pretty sure) but my parents do favor my brother more. He gets to pick which restaurant we go to, which car we get, which phones we get, and a lot more things. It might be because my brother is younger, but my parents do coddle him more than me.

In my family, I also got the idea that the boys were more favored towards than the girls. My great grandpa gave my uncles his land and property in China and did not give my aunts anything. I thought boys were more special than girls. I do not believe that anymore, but the idea of men supporting the family was passed down from generation to generation. There needs to be a man in the household to take charge, provide financially, and protect the family. The wife would be expected to clean the house, take care of the children, and cook meals. I think that the roles are now shared by all members of the household, but males, because of their identity with masculinity, feel they need to and have to take on the whole burden.

From example and observation, a family is consisted of a husband, wife, and children. In my family, both of my parents take care of my brother and me. We support and love each other. Each member contributes to the family in their own way. Both my parents work and provide financially. My mom does do most of the household chores and cooking, but my dad does chip in. He cleans the outside of the house, takes care of the landscape (with my brother), and barbecues food. The expected roles of women and men are no longer in use. The roles are shared at least in my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment