Monday, October 11, 2010

Advertisement

9:00 Class

Relationship with Advertisement


Advertisements are in everything and are everywhere. They are unavoidable. People see them on the Internet, the television, music videos, magazines, and the radio. We see hundreds of advertisements every day. They try to make consumers want what they are selling by appealing to the target consumers’ style, senses, and ego. Seeing famous celebrities wearing that brand or eating that food could influence people to want the same brand or food. On commercials a lot, people take a kind of medication and seem happier and have more friends because of it.

Companies and corporations put a lot of thought into advertisement to entice the customers. They use visually stimulating images and logically appealing ideas. They use statistics and data to persuade customers one way or another. In commercials, they try to name everything that is good about the product. Then at the end, in small print, companies put everything that is bad about it. They also talk really fast to keep the emphasis on the positives. Advertisements also try to appeal to the five senses.

I know I see advertisements every day, but I don’t realize the amount that I actually do see. Walking out of the building, there are multiple fliers and posters for various things on the wall. When surfing the Internet, advertisements pop up. Some commercials are repetitive to the point where people remember the ad. The commercials could also be entertaining like the Old Spice commercial, where everybody knows about it.

My relationship with advertisements is an ok one. Most advertisements do effect me whether I know it or not. Sometimes the catchy tunes get stuck in my head, like the Meow Mix jingle. If I had a cat I would by Meow Mix over other brands because I remember it. When I watch a Subway’s commercial, I usually crave an Italian sub. Subways advertises their healthy options and their variety of choices. The five dollar menu sounds reasonable and appealing. The car commercials are visually and auditory stimulating. I would always want to own and drive the car, but I know I can’t. The producers make the cars seem like it has many functions and is in its own league.

I consciously think that advertisements do not effect me as much as other people. It depends on what the product is. When I watch television, I do not like watching the commercials. Usually I flip to another channel to avoid the commercials. The commercials that I do watch are usually interesting. I like to watch ones that are colorful and have a good song I know. If the advertisement is compelling, I might consider getting it. Advertisements do not influence me one way or another. If I see an ad for a product, I would not instantly go out and buy it. The product would be in the back of my mind though. The next time I see it, I would remember that I saw it before. Advertisements do help me make decisions though. I pick the products that I remember hearing or seeing before.

No comments:

Post a Comment