Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Megan Lee
9:00 Class
Analysis Essay

Pillows and Nostalgia

When I was six, my parents bought my brother and I a mini pillow. It is smaller than a regular pillow, but is soft and is comfortable as a regular one. The actual pillow is white. There are baby Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse characters on the pillow case. Mickey Mouse is wearing a blue pajama set with yellow buttons. Each Mickey Mouse is holding a blue blanket and a red pacifier. Each Minnie Mouse is wearing her signature pink bow and a pink pajama set with yellow buttons. Both Mickey and Minnie have the large white four fingered gloves as hands. The Minnie Mouses are holding rainbow rattles. The background is white with a light blue checkerboard pattern. My parents gave the pillow to us because of the long commute we had to do every day. My family and I lived in Staten Island, but I went to kindergarten and elementary school in the city and my parents worked in the city too. So every morning, we would all get up early and drive to the city. In the car, I would always want to sleep. I would want to put my head on something so my parents bought me the pillow. I think I used that pillow almost every day on the ride there and back. I would lean against it when I was not sleeping. I still have the pillow today. I do not sleep on it like I used to, but the pillow is sitting in the back seat of my car. The pillow reminds me of my childhood and the car rides that my family had together.
I think I grew up into a good family. I have two loving parents that would do anything for my brother and me. I also have a younger brother, who I fought with some times. My parents took care of us, raised us, and instilled us with good values. They gave my brother and I pillows because of the long car rides. My parents might have spoiled us a little bit, but with good intentions. They want my brother and I to be happy and to live better lives than they did. My parents ultimately want the best for us and want us to succeed in life.
The role of nostalgia in our lives is important. People like to remember their childhood and the good old days. As people grow older, life gets more complicated. They have more responsibility and have more things to worry about. In school, the higher the grade, the harder the work and the more amount of work. Also, most people get physically weaker when they get older. The elderly always talk about their pasts and reminisce about their teenage years. Nostalgia of our childhood allows us to remember the simpler times, where we did not have to worry about anything. We just ate, watched cartoons, and took naps. In a hectic world, it is nice to be reminded of the uncomplicated past if only for a few minutes.

1 comment:

  1. These classic long pajamas are also quite comfortable and breathable for adults. If you are curious to know more about silk pajama set, check here.

    ReplyDelete